Tuesday, October 26, 2010

My favorite poem from Kinky, is BARBIE AS MAFIOSA. I thought it was very well written and creative. My favorite passage from this poem is, "I'm just playing, she'll say, or you can't prove a thing. I barely even have a brain."


My favorite passage from Barbie's Queer Accessories is, "What remains consistent is that, no matter how many consumers Mattel expands its infinite possibility line to bring in, Mattel, and Barbie, always remains faithful to those who buy into the prevailing idea that the best thing to be is white, skinny, blonde, glamourous, rich, largely apolitical, and heterosexual, although it caters to some of these values more subtly than before."

I think these two passages help relate to the idea that we are responsible for why and how Barbie is the way she is. She is "just playing" the role we have given her, which is the role of a skinny, blonde, beautiful woman. We have put the idea of perfection into a doll, a doll who can not tell us if she wants to be a size ten, for she has no brain. Barbie isn't to blame for her looks or her goals, we are as a society. Sure, Mattel manufactured the doll but maybe we are just as guilty for making Barbie who she really is. She is just playing the role we made for her. The role of perfection.

No comments:

Post a Comment